Karma Mobility has an extensive range of lightweight wheelchairs. We want you to be able to choose one based on your needs. There are lots of ways to customise lightweight wheelchairs. These can range from practical adaptations like stump supports to personal touches like decoration. It is up to you how much you want to adjust your mobility aid so that you feel comfortable.
There are some features that are common to most lightweight wheelchairs:
- Handles – these can be used by a carer to help move you around in your lightweight wheelchair. You can get self-propel models that have handrims (handles on the wheels) to help you get along by yourself. However, these will still have handles in case you need assistance and to help you manoeuvre the chair when you are not using it;
- Back support – this forms the back of the wheelchair. It is more padded on some models than others. You can get extra back support from our range of accessories at Karma Mobility to help you get to the perfect fit;
- Wheels – the tyres on wheelchairs can vary considerably. A sports wheelchair, for example, will have wheels that slope out slightly for extra balance and speed. You can get lightweight wheelchairs with wider wheels to make them more stable and able to handle rougher terrain. It is important that you keep an eye on the inflation and tread on your tyres so that you are always as safe as possible;
- Foot rests – these are designed to support your feet while you move around in your lightweight wheelchair. Many models have supports that flip up out of the way so that you can enter and exit the chair without them getting in the way.
There are other, optional, features that you might wish to explore to ensure you are getting the most out of your lightweight wheelchair. These include:
- Ultra-lightweight frame – these models can be a little more expensive but they make up for it by being very portable and easier to move around;
- Foldable frame – if you intend to travel a lot with your wheelchair, this can be a really handy feature. It also helps with storage if you don’t need to use it all the time.